Wednesday, June 16, 2010

BBBC 2010 - Day 4

Todays Topic - Is your avatar more or less your current biological age? Do you portray a younger avatar, or older? Why is this?

This is kind of a tricky one for me to answer. Biologically RL me is newly 32. The way I act/talk/feel I am still in my mid 20's somewhere. I see age as just a number. I don't think your age has to define who you are. Just because I am in my 30's it is pressumed that I should be married/engaged or happily partnered, living comfortably, have a job, act like an adult etc etc. Well I'm none of those, sorta.

Let me expand a bit (this blog may take on some aspect of an RL blog more than an SL blog at first) I was married once upon a time. For 7 years. so as you can imagine from just those two sentences I was married at a young age, 21 to be precise. I always felt I was 'older' than others my age so my friends were in their thirties, my then husband was 7 years older than me, we had the house, the dog, the jobs.....we had what I hear my friends talk about these days as what you should have at my age. well that ended a few years back and I realised that I didn't have to be what society depicted as suitable for my age. So I'm just me. I don't own my home - I live with a friend. I have no job at the moment - some days I hate this some days I love the sleep in. I love to muck around, have fun, laugh, talk like an idiot, joke around with my friends - more like a 20yr old would. The only thing I sort of have from my earlier list is a boyfriend - he just happens to live on the other side of the world.

SL me is very much just like RL me. To the extent that I don't have the amazon tall, anorexic with perfect skin and perfect hair. I'm at the height I am in RL (which makes people say I am a short ass or a child in SL), I am curvy and out of proportion, I wear my hair messy and tend to have male hairdos (since I have a typically male hair cut in RL) and I muck around, joke with friends, talk like an idiot etc etc.

It's a bit of a tricky subject with me, anything that involves the "is the RL you like the SL you". Dress standards, size, shape, hair colour, skin blah blah blah. I hear so many people say things like their avatar is just like an extension of their RL selves and they are both the same.... my avatar is just like in the real world, what you see is what you get.....I try to make my avatar look just like me since it is me driving it.....etc and so forth. Yet half of those people have avatars that are 8ft tall, and as skinny as Kate Moss. So when I say I am like my avatar, and my avatar acts the same age. I actually mean it. The only difference would be I don't have all the cool clothes in RL or live on a beautiful beach with a gorgeous house. One day though.....one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment